Tuesday, March 19, 2013

My Excellent Adventure Down Under


I’m Baaaaccckkkkk……
 
After 7 weeks in Sydney, we were able to squeak in a week-long trip back to Southern California. It was great to see our grandson and family, and our own bed felt really good. The week was packed with appointments, trying to get through 7 weeks’ worth of mail, dinners with friends and family, and household chores. Before we knew it, it was time to fly back. I have to admit, I had mixed feelings about coming back; not that I don’t love being here, but I am a homebody, and spring had sprung in SoCal so my yard was calling me. It’ll have to wait. Duty calls.

And so we are back. It actually felt really good coming in through the airport. As we were riding in the taxi to the hotel, I recognized various neighborhoods, landmarks, etc., and I realized that Sydney has become something of a second home. We know good places to eat, where to get our few groceries and things we need. We also have our same apartment, so it really is like being in our home away from home. We are no longer strangers here; just Americans living in Australia.

The hotel staff remembered us! Well, actually, after seeing our faces for 7 weeks, would they really forget? We had to wait a bit to move in; seems the people that were in the apartment were taking their time leaving. I can’t blame them; the view up here is spectacular. The weather is suddenly fall-like. Who knew there would be a noticeable difference in only a week? The air is crisper and cooler; and oh happy days! the SUN is out more than the clouds!
 
The summer crowds are gone; what a relief. I can go outside almost anytime during the day now and not be crushed by the crowds on the street or indundated with cigarette smoke. Smoking is still the predominant addiction I see here, but there is definitely less of it during the day. I still have to use my inhaler on a daily basis as I am very sensitive to it, but it's nice to get outside and not have an instant headache and asthma attack.

It’s also great to go into some of the restaurants we tag as our favorites and have the staff ask where we’ve been! It’s like being welcomed by old friends and I guess that’s where we are now in this whole adventure, making friends and seeing friendly faces.

Work still takes precedence over sightseeing. Monday through Friday, hubby leaves for his office by 7 a.m. and comes home around 6:30 p.m. He also works some in the evening and of course, there will be weekends where he will work from the apartment, but I am hopeful that we will get out more than we did the first trip here.

I still have tons of projects I am working on. I never lack for something to do. I’m even taking on some transcription work, so there’s money to be made by me as well! Transcription typically doesn’t make one rich, but I find it interesting, and it keeps my mind active.

I have lots of ideas for more blogs, too. I really appreciate those of you who take some time to read my thoughts and share my adventures. I promise more blogs with more pictures! This is such an interesting time in my life, and I enjoy sharing it! Who knew this girl from Texas would find such adventures?

No comments:

Post a Comment